Blame it on the Rain

It's raining here today. Good thing, too. Our yard was starting to look a bit parched. And by parched, I mean to say as dry as sandpaper and about the same consistency.

To my father-in-law, Papa Surfer, rain is a novelty. His eyes were gleaming with excitement at the prospect of seeing rain while visiting us, as the place where he lives hasn't seen rain in 1.5 years. That's YEARS. I mean yeah, it's the desert and all, but holy hell. And another crazy part? Is the part where the desert from which he hails has over 120 golf courses. Fancy golf courses. And that area hasn't gotten rain in over a year and a half. The water waste that goes on to sustain those golf courses fries my eggs, frankly. Doesn't anyone else see the absurdity of golf courses in the desert? He says that in the summer, it's so hot there (he just left 112 F) that nobody in their right mind even plays golf during the summer. So they water all of those courses all summer long to keep them green and no one's even using them. That kills me.

I'm glad he got his wish to see rain though. I'm going to go home and try to convince him to join me in frolicking around in it. That's the best part about rain anyway.

Comments

Adamity73 said…
Golf courses in the desert...the height of absurdity! The HEIGHT, I say! Meanwhile the world is running out of potable drinking water.

I remember seeing a tourney at the Dubai Classic once, and wondering to myself, 'do they mean Dubai as in Dubai in the Middle East?!' Yeah.
C-C-C-Corn Dog said…
Thank you! The worst part is if you bring up the alleged waste of water there, the majority of locals will tell you that in that part of CA, they're sitting on a vast underground reservoir that has fresh water reserves for easily 300 years. Um, so that's not very long, you know that? Another of their favorite arguments is the part where they're not losing much water from the reservoir watering all those golf courses because the ground leaches water right back into the reservoir. To which I point out, yes, leaches back into the reservoir carrying all of the herbicides, pesticides, sand, and whateverthehellelse. And THAT is not a good thing, y'all.

Popular posts from this blog

Stupid Saturn Rising

High Tide

I'm the Lyrical Jesse James