starry night stained glass

I think I'm finally ready to tackle another stained glass project. Got any ideas?

It's taken me a while to get the nerve to do another piece. The Van Gogh Starry Night rip-off was a hella big undertaking for as little experience with stained glass as I have. And then I had to go and break it. Yeah. I had finished the piece about 2 months prior to the "incident", but was waiting to present it to Big Thirsty and his wife (Big Thirsty's Wife she shall be called forever after) until the custom frame was done. I'd pretty much given up on Dirty Gravy (I hereby designate this name for mi esposo) finishing the frame until Old Dirty Gravy (that'd be my father-in-law) came to town and saved the day. So, here I was - all proud of finishing it and having an awesome frame in which to beset my work, so clearly I had to show it off.

Setting: Kitchen. Players: Dirty Gravy and Me.

I was holding the glass and set the frame on top of it - it was the glass' first frame fitting and it couldn't have been more perfect. Alas, in my overjoyous haste, I moved a hand. I'm saying, the thing fit so well in the frame that in the span of .2 seconds, I had forgotten it wasn't secured in the frame. And there dropped the glass, out of the bottom of the frame. It landed with a sickening shatter at my feet.

About 1/3 of the pieces were broken. Of course, to fix them, I had to disassemble the entire piece. Can you say novice?

The thought of re-cutting the same pieces made me pretty ill, but with the enlisted help of My Dear Mother, I was able to present the Big Thirsty Duo with their wedding present... on their 1st anniversary.

Comments

C-C-C-Corn Dog said…
Wow - those are some killer panels...but mostly out of my league. If I could find a Dali that was already in stained glass pattern form, I'd try it out!
C-C-C-Corn Dog said…
Yeah, I informed Mr. Gravy about his new nickname this morning - I don't think he liked it too much. And then he proceeded to tell me that I mixed up Big Thirsty with Big Hungry. Gah!
C-C-C-Corn Dog said…
Ha! Coincidence BTW? I think not. The Van Gogh stained glass not only survived a 5-foot drop, but can send brainwaves too!

Popular posts from this blog

Stupid Saturn Rising

High Tide

Don't You Love it When...