If I Needed a Reason...

...to watch World Cup soccer, I've found it. Or rather, him. But first, congrats to Italy on their win. I started watching the final thinking I wanted France to win entirely because of the nothing short of inspired performance of their marquee player, Zinedane Zidane. For lovers of the letter Z, that's a great name no? So yes, I'm thinking France at first. In the first seven minutes they go up 1-0 on a penalty kick executed expertly by Zidane, so now I start thinking I just want to see a good game. No diving and bullshit yellow cards, maybe a nice draw to go on to penalty kicks, you know - I wanted it to be interesting. And France winning it with a goal in the seventh minute was not going to cut it.

So now I'm cheering on Italy. During their game with the US, I didn't pay much attention to how hot the Italian players are. I saw them as dirty diving elbowing assholes mostly. But I did notice there was some potential.

I watched the Italy against Germany match and one player in particular caught my eye. A defender and the captain of his team, Fabio Cannavaro bears a pretty strong resemblance in my opinion to a friend from college. That was what originally caught my eye - Fabio was sporting the shaved head look and the last time I saw College-Friend-Turned-Chef, so was he. I think it's something about the eyebrows or eyes that look similar to me.

So I tune into the final game and I've already switched allegiance to Italy. I start watching Cannavaro deftly defend a sustained onslaught from the French attackers. I've decided his chiseled face only compliments a talented player. ESPN showed him quite a bit in the match, so by the end of the game, I'm more or less smitten with someone named Fabio.

Monday I google his name. And behold Fabio: The Dreamiest Dreamy Dude I Ever Done Seen


And no, I didn't need a reason - I love soccer. I've been playing on Tuesday nights for almost five years and I was on my grade school's first girls soccer team (fourth grade! no soccer or sports for girls until fourth grade! Not "You're not allowed". More like "It's not offered". My development was obviously stifled and I could have been great.).

I'm wondering if the Italian Champions will do a tour of the U.S.? Maybe play a friendly? I hear St. Louis is a great soccer town and has a really big and old Italian community. It could happen - I could see him in person. I'd only be able to drool on him, but hey, that would be a good memory for the ol' blog woudn't it?

And P.S. To Zidane: Wow - just wow. I believe that Materazzi said something absolutely heinous to you, but don't you regret losing it and getting tossed out of the game? The guy that missed his PK? Yeah, that could have been you and I would bet money you would have made your shot. Was it worth it?

Comments

C-C-C-Corn Dog said…
And JoySoyHabanero, if you read this, you already took him off your "list" because he's too short (one inch shorter than Johnny Depp who remains on the list I'll have you know) so back off. He's MINE.
Life said…
Zidane: Wow - just wow. I believe that Materazzi said something absolutely heinous to you I heard he said he was the son of a terrorist whore or something like that and he is really sensitive about his Mom because she died when he was young.
JP said…
Dawn, I can't believe you've resorted to drooling over footie players, I waited how long for this post... the world cup has to be more than that.
And who cares about ZZ, he's French! (again, I'm English)

Popular posts from this blog

Stupid Saturn Rising

High Tide

Don't You Love it When...